Re: Aptitude, ARs

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 06:51:03PM +1100, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org> was heard to say:
> On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 05:16:17PM -0800, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > If "Attribute:" entries are added to the function_pkgs files which gives
> > extra information unavailable in debian archive to each package,  'l'
> > option (or its new extension) can be used to scope package using
> > information in this field.
>
> I have this silly idea. Has anyone thought of analysing the descriptions of
> packages to automatically generate (at least some of) the keywords. Sort of
> like google.

  Yes, people have.  You're welcome to try if you want, but I'm
extremely skeptical that it will produce any particularly useful
result.  That sort of searching is not terribly accurate anyway (google
does more than just search for text in order to get decent results), and
I suspect that it wouldn't work well for Debian packages, since there's
very little text to work with.  (oh, and I'm not getting into the
subject of the atrocious descriptions a lot of packages have)

  Of course, a working example is always a good way to disprove the
above paragraph :)

  Daniel

|            "But what *does* kill me bloody well leaves me dead!"            |
|              -- Terry Pratchett, _Carpe Jugulum_                            |
\------- (if (not (understand-this)) (go-to http://www.schemers.org)) --------/