Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

In article <[🔎] 20030312072551.GB4115@evbergen.xs4all.nl>,
Emile van Bergen  <emile-deb@evbergen.xs4all.nl> wrote:
>First I want to say that /run is very much OK to solve the problem at
>hand; it's just a pity that we decide to add a top-level direcory with a
>such a very limited purpose.

I agree. I hate extra top-level directories too. That's why I came
up with /var/bootstate, but /run seems more elegant.

>/mem has more purposes than /run and is the most elegant way to
>implement /run (as /mem/run). Therefore it's a better candidate for a
>top level directory than /run.

It sounds too much like /dev/mem to me. Ehm. /ram ? /volatile ? /vltl ?
Too bad /vol has been taken already ..

>Perhaps. However, I think that were naming according to *properties*
>(not to implementation -- as said, no particular filesystem type is
>/required/, implementations can be disk + rm, tmpfs, ext2 on ramdisk,
>shmfs) is possible, the name will make sense for longer than a name
>according to purpose.

>Naming according to purpose has brought us /etc and /usr. These names
>have no relevance whatsoever today. At least with naming according to
>properties you don't run that risk.

/whatever, then ;)

Mike.
--
Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should
on no account be allowed to do the job -- Douglas Adams.