Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 06:59:34PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> I guess /etc/mtab, /etc/network/ifstate, /etc/motd and maybe
> /etc/ioctl.save (wtf is that?) should all move in there?

Only on systems that require it.

How about leaving stuff as it is, keeping a list of files in /etc that
get written to in the docs and leave it up to the admin who builds a
complex netbooted system, since those people aren't going to stick with
the standard solution anyway. If d-i can someday install complex
netbooted systems, we can think about this issue again.

For the early rw issues: I doubt that too much stuff needs such a thing
and I believe that said stuff can be patched to not use the FS at all
until everything is mounted (MIT SHM springs to mind).

   Simon

PS: IMO ifup/down should be stateless.

--
GPG Fingerprint: 040E B5F7 84F1 4FBC CEAD  ADC6 18A0 CC8D 5706 A4B4