Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 18:00:31 +0100
Emile van Bergen <emile-deb@evbergen.xs4all.nl> wrote:
[snip]
> I use something like that on my notebook to prevent things like ntpd's
> drift file from spinning up the disk all the time: I have /tmp as ext2
> on a ramdisk (could just as well be shmfs though) and have a
> /tmp/preserved which I create from /var/tmp-preserved at bootup and
> copy back to /var/tmp-preserved at shutdown, and have /var/lib/ntp
> symlinked to /var/tmp-preserved/ntp.
>
> Of course, using /tmp in such a way goes a bit far, but why not do it
> like this then:
>
> * keep /tmp as it is now;
> * keep /var as it is now;
> * add /mem, which is RAM-based, writable /very/ early, and initialised
>   in full from /var/mem at bootup, allowing the admin to define a
>   desired initial state;
> * have part of it, eg. /mem/preserved, written back to
> /var/mem/preserved at
>   shutdown.
>
> Pidfiles, locks, ifstate, dhcp stuff, mtab, etc. that now need
> cleaning up at boot time would be perfect candidates for /mem, things
> like ntp.drift could go in /mem/preserved, and some parts parts of
> /var/state could be moved to either.

s/mem/state
It sounds like everything that you are proposing to live in /mem is
statfull info that generally makes no sense after a reboot. A
/state/preserved directory even make more sense for things like the
ntp.drift file that does have meaning over reboots.

Does the default kernel shipped with debian have support for
tmpfs/shmfs? (woody uses 2.2 by default, will sarge use a 2.4 kernel?)

> This is good for your disks, good for your batteries, simplifies state
> cleanup at startup, and solves the writable-etc-or-no-networked-var
> issue with ifstate to boot.
>
> It "just" needs to be added to FHS.

A list of changing files currently held in /etc or /var that might be
nice to have in /state:
/etc/mtab
/etc/resolv.conf
/etc/network/ifstate