Re: Frequent system crash -- with gcc3.2 (?)

On Mon, 2003-03-10 at 18:37, Xavier Roche wrote:
> > I am troubled by frequent hard system crashes, which seem particularly
> > likely to occur when I am using gcc3.2.  Since I often want to rebuild
> > large packages, this is extrememly annoying.  At the moment, it's as bad
> > as Windows 95!
> > Motherboard: Tyan Tiger S2466N-4M
>
> Ah, a SMP system.
>
> - Ensure that you have GOOD memory chips (I mean, REALLY GOOD ones), like brand, certified ones.
> - Go to http://www.memtest86.com/, burn the bootable CD, and check your memories during few hours (4-5 hours mini).
> The test #5 is particularly important (non-linear tests)
>
> Many stability problems are caused by bad memory chips. I had to throw a 512-MB chip for this reason recently :(

I have run memtest on them overnight (8 hours) with no errors reported,
so I don't think that is the reason.

     "What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have
      faith, but has no deeds? Can such faith save him?
      Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and
      daily food.   If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish
      you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing
      about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same
      way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by
      actions, is dead."          James 2:14-17