Re: Some proposals

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 04:11:56PM +0100, Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:
> One release per quarter: Do you do security support for 4 versions in
> parallel, or do you require people to update 4 times per year?

Four times a year? You realise that means we'd have already had two releases
since woody (end of October, end of January), and be almost halfway through
preparing for another one.

You realise that we haven't had a releasable libc in unstable since
around August?

Annual releases are an optimistic but probably achievable goal at
this point. A release every six months is stretching the bounds of
believability (sarge would be five weeks old and we'd be preparing its
first point release now if that were the case), but maybe not completely
breaking them. Quarterly releases aren't even remotely realistic.

For comparison, the freeze for hamm was about six months, for slink
four months and for potato seven months. The woody release was stalled
pending the security infrastructure work for almost an entire quarter.

Speeding up this stuff is a great idea, but the only way it's going to
happen is if people spend their time fixing bugs and doing development
work, not yammering to each other on mailing lists.

ObBug: 154768

Cheers,
aj

  ``Dear Anthony Towns: [...] Congratulations --
        you are now certified as a Red Hat Certified Engineer!''