Re: Future of Debian !uncertain

Joey Hess wrote:
> The reason installing a Debian desktop takes a phd is because the
> installer is just as happy to let you go off and build a shell server on
> a m68k.

Debian needs an installer that aims to install debian on all ports under
all conditions. This installer might be "hard to use", i.e. you are
expected to know basic facts about your hardware and make decisions about
how you want things set up.

However, many people may not want to use such an installer, so how about
also having an "80%" installer. This installer would aim to install debian
on 80% of generic i386 hardware, and will be happy to make all sorts of
decisions on your behalf, and will install xfonts-base and discover etc.
without even asking you. Maybe Knoppix would be a good base to work from
for this, rather than abusing debian-installer...

Of course, I am not volunteering to do the work to make this happen.

Joseph