Re: Future of Debian uncertain?

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 06:30:39AM -0800, Jeremy T. Bouse wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 11:02:05AM +0100, Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:
> > On Wed, 2003-02-26 at 00:01, David Nusinow wrote:

> > > how we fix issues in Debian, and issues do in fact get fixed. The rest
> > > of us on the list know this, but somehow it escapes a lot of users.
> > > Many users don't even know the BTS exists (I know this from personal
> > > experience on #debian), and making them familiar with it is a part of
> > > the transition from being a Linux user to being a Debian user.

> > How a Debian Hint of the Day at the login prompt/on the [kgxwhatever]dm
> > default screen?

> 	That'd be great... another option for me to disable... Any
> program that pops this infernal "hint" boxes up gets shutdown rather
> quickly... Gets annoying and reminds me too much of Micro$haft and why I
> don't use it...

What if it's not a popped-up hint box, but just a part of the ?dm
interface or MOTD on a login shell?

I would think that would be a sufficiently non-intrusive default. It
won't sit on top of anything or get in the way at all... Of course,
it would have to be _implemented_. MOTD'd be easy; PAM_fortune or
somesuch, if it doesn't already exist... (Isn't on my machine, anyway)

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

use, duplication and distribution.