Re: Future of Debian uncertain?

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 05:22:29PM -0800, Philip Brown wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 05:35:17PM -0500, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:
> > Show me where in our constitution, social contract, or any other
> > official document we make the official claim that we are "aiming at more
> > experienced users".  We make no such claim.
> In fact, just the opposite, if you take item #4 in the social contract at
> face value:
>
> 4. Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software
>
>   "We will be guided by the needs of our users and the free-software
>    community. We will place their interests first in our priorities. We will
>    support the needs of our users for operation in many different kinds of
>    computing environment." ...
>
> It is certainly in the interests of "our users" to have an easy-to-use
> system. Nor is this directly in conflict with having advanced options
> available "on the side".

I am for helping newbie user for Debian.  I do and will spend time to
improve Debian's usability from Documentation and other means.

Having said it, I have no illusion about situation and above argument is
somewhat flawed.

If you look at actual *current* Debian users, they are mostly people who
are comfortable with shell prompts.  As long as our _USERS_ stay this
way, Debian is aiming at *experienced users* according to item #4.

If item #4 is "... needs of our *prospectus* users ...", you may be
right.

Cheers.
Osamu
        Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>   Cupertino CA USA, GPG-key: A8061F32
 .''`.  Debian Reference: post-installation user's guide for non-developers
 : :' : http://qref.sf.net and http://people.debian.org/~osamu
 `. `'  "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" --- Social Contract