Re: [internal-projects] [Debian-multimedia] Start an official internal project!

    rh> Le Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 08:19:35PM +0100,
    rh> andrea.glorioso@centrotemporeale.it écrivait:
    >> On top of my TODO list there is a gforge installation which can
    >> be

    rh> Don't loose time setting up a gforge installation
    rh> yourself. What exactly do you need ?

Please see my other mail for a reply to your considerations.

    rh> Debian already offers mailing lists, web, CVS and BTS. You
    rh> just need to have a good experience of Debian to be able to
    rh> push forward by nagging the right person when needed and so on
    rh> ... I'm willing to help you on that matter.

    rh> BTW, Debian will soon (well I hope :)) have its own gforge
    rh> (codename: alioth) so if you need more things in the future,
    rh> we could create what's needed there.

I'm interested in knowing on which base you worked for this: Savannah
or Gforge?

    rh> I'm going  to request a CVS  area for debian-edu RSN with full
    rh> control (ie  with  possibility to    give pserver acounts   to
    rh> non-developers). I could request  one for debian-multimedia at
    rh> the same time if you want ... I'd  accept to manage it for you
    rh> (ie creating pserver accounts on request and so on).

You're really very kind  and I thank you,  but  for now I  still can't
answer this question both because I feel the urge to clear some issues
with the DeMuDi team  (the fact that I was  appointed tech manager for
DeMuDi just ten days ago doesn't help in this respect, of course :) )

    rh> You won't clutter Debian developers ... you're working with
    rh> them, you're helping them by making their packages better. So
    rh> there's no need to "fork" the BTS concerning Debian
    rh> packages.

That's true, but given that we still don't know how many Debian "pure"
packages  how  many DeMuDi  packages  there   will be,  some   sort of
filter-in-the-middle is IMHO needed.

    rh> for a specific package  you really need  a different config or
    rh> fairly large patches, you can ask the maintainer to change its
    rh> package so  that it generates  two packages instead of one. If
    rh> he doesn't agree with you, you still have the possibilty to do
    rh> your own <package>-demudi for your own purpose.

agreed.

    rh> But all of this should be in Debian standard like any other
    rh> package...

Only if DeMuDi will be part of Debian standard, which  is not clear at
this  point.  Please note that I  have nothing against  Debian and I'm
trying to find a solution to  maximise integration - together with you
and with the rest of  the DeMuDi team, since each  part knows what its
own aims and  its obligations are -  but there might be problems which
could not allow this.

bye,

andrea
--