Re: /etc/network/interfaces & point-to-point ethernet & broadcast address

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 04:10:23PM +1100, Brian May wrote:
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
>     address 192.168.87.1
>     network 192.168.87.0
>     netmask 255.255.255.0
>     broadcast 192.168.87.255
>
> auto eth0:0
> iface eth0:0 inet static
>     address 192.168.87.2
>     network 192.168.87.0
>     netmask 255.255.255.0
>     broadcast 192.168.87.255
>
> Which, at least with woody ifup/down is rather buggy.
>
> If, for instance you type in:
>
> ifdown eth0
> ifup eth0
> ifup eth0:0
>
> it won't configure eth0:0 because ifup thinks it already is up, and
> doesn't realize that shutting down eth0 also shutdowns (implied) eth0:0
> (at the kernel level). Similarly, if eth0:0 has down scripts, then
> these would not have been executed.

of course, to me, this is related to the problem that ip(up|down) doesnt
really check to see if a device is up or down, it just checks its
ifstate file. that is:

 # ifup -a
 # ip link set eth0 down
 # ifup eth0

the last ifup command will fail (you have to call ifdown first), because
ifup still thinks that eth0 is up.

--
gram