Re: help with g++ transition of FAM

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 03:44:47PM +0100, Joerg Wendland wrote:
> Hi fellows,
>
> I am the maintainer of fam. Shortly after the start of the g++
> transition I changed my package as required by the transitioning plan
> und uploaded. GNOME libs are recompiled and use the new libfam0c102.
> However, I get daily email from people complaining about removed KDE
> packages when trying to install GNOME. It's clear, nearly all KDE packages
> still depend on the old libfam0 and libfam0c102 conflicts with that. Now
> the problem arises: we will have 'old' KDE packages using qt2 and
> therefore being compiled with g++-2.95 and 'new' KDE packages using qt3
> and being built with g++-3.2. All of them want a libfam but I only
> provide a version for g++-3.2. Ryan Murray suggested[0] building a
> backward compatible library. Then I would have to also build a
> second libfam-dev that depends on that compatibility lib. But libfam0
> and libfam0c102 should conflict with each other for both having the same
> soname. Now I am on the horns of a dilemma, what should I do?

KDE 3.1 will be going into sid as soon as it can be built, right now the
fact that postgres is not installable[0] is holding an updated Qt (built
against gcc 3.2) out of sid. If you wanted to you could build a libfam0
(without any -dev package) and leave it in until KDE finally gotten into
sid.  Of course that won't solve the problem with people wanting both
GNOME and KDE on the same machine.

I am hoping KDE will be able to go into sid very soon. :\

Chris

[0] - postgres can not be installed due to heimdal being out of date,
	Brian May has yet to respond to emails from me about it, however
	I just read an email from him on d-d that he had no net access
	and will be working on it.