Re: Some ideas about the Debian Runlevel System

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 03:14:34AM +0200, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> Kidding aside, there is no way to partition use of runlevels that will
> work for all people. If Debian were to set up some sort of policy for
> them, it would make it harder for the sysadmins to use runlevels the way
> they want to. That is why Debian has not declared meanings for
> runlevels: it would be a bad idea.

OK then, we should implement my second suggestion.  If Debian will not
take advantage of runlevels by default then we should not install
sysvinit by default and should use some other init system.  Sysvinit
should be an optional package available to administrators who want
multiple runlevel support.

noah