Re: Some myths regarding apt pinning

On Sam, 2003-01-25 at 00:05, Erik Steffl wrote:

>    but the point is that pinning is not very good because you either
> bring a number of important packages from unstable (libc6, perl etc) or
> you simply cannot use it. reading of the manual page and checking the
> apt-listchanges does not solve the problem. i.e. you recommend pinning,
> person reads the manpage, tries pinning and finds out that it was pretty
> much pointless excercise because it would upgrade large part of the
> system to unstable. or yet another wording: Adrian Bunk wasn't
> complaining about system actually upgrading packages but about system
> trying to upgrade packages.

Ah, then I misunderstood.

I agree, but I don't really see a better way - for me, pinning works,
but I'm prepared to run a half-unstable system.

Those not wanting to pull libc/unstable etc. should probably just
recompile from source, which becomes ever easier with apt-src and
apt-build.

cheers
-- vbi

--