Re: more and more broken packages?

On Die, 2003-01-21 at 07:39, Erik Steffl wrote:
>    it looks like there are more and more broken packages. I have been
> using unstable for few years and generally there were no problems, all
> packages where upgradable, no version mismatch etc.

> How is the situation of testing
> now? is that the one that unstable used to be (=current enough and
> stable enough)? (I mean the real state of testing, not what it's
> supposed to be)

Hi!

I am happily running a mixed testing/unstable system. Read the
apt_preferences man page and create /etc/apt/preferences with something
like
========
Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 700
========
then put both testing and unstable in your sources.list. I never use
dselect any more, heavy use of apt-cache policy, apt-cache show(pkg) and
apt-get solves most problems.

I run basically testing, but lately more unstable software came into it:
I've now switched to gnome2, and use the newest evolution - both depend
on a recent libc, so that's from unstable, too. Also, I'm using C++ now
and then, with the newest g++ 3.2 from unstable. All the rest is testing
software - and yes, the dependency problems exist occasionally, and now
with the C++ transition in the works it's worse than it was, but apart
from kde2 and gnome2 not being installable in parallel I've not noticed
anything that worries me (i.e. affects software I use regularly).

cheers
-- vbi

--
featured link: http://fortytwo.ch/gpg/subkeys