Re: why is it not moving to testing

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 10:32:08AM +1300, Nick Phillips wrote:

> Not forgetting that whilst a particular libc version on which you have
> tested your app
> "should" be fine, there may well have been arch-specific bugs in <some
> old version
> of libc> on an arch with which you are not familiar, which would stop
> it from working
> there.

> There's nothing special about libc in this respect, of course...

> That said, it really does bug me that so many versioned dependencies
> blatantly force much more to be updated than is really necessary.

That would seem to call for a completely new tool, which can inspect
binaries at build time and examine their symbols, symbol versions, etc.
to make a more finely grained determination of the true dependencies.
However, such a system would be fragile, resource-intensive to maintain,
and seldom beneficial.  I don't think the occasional glibc woes justify
pulling resources away from directly addressing actual bugs.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer