Re: different configs for 386 and 686 kernel

Marcel Kolaja wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 05:43:01PM +0100, Giacomo A. Catenazzi wrote:
>
> > [but I'm not an expert. I build my own kernel, and by choice without initrd
> > (and I'm happy that the initrd support will be removed in 2.6)]
>
> I hope (if this is really true, that the initrd support will be removed in
> 2.6), the initrd support will stay[1] in Debian.

this was news to me, so i researched: initrd is being _replaced_ by
initramfs

i was discussing with some people, and it seems the big change will be
that initramfs would imply using ramfs as the root filesystem could
dynamically allocate up to is maximum size, but only allocate what it
really needs at the time.

a ram disk allocates its maximum size up front, so it will take 32M of your
main ram eve if df reports 1k in use. ramfs won't.

so, worry not.

-john