Re: different configs for 386 and 686 kernel

"H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh@quickfur.ath.cx>  wrote:
> Umm... isn't this a bug?? AFAIK, a kernel with ext2 compiled as a
> module won't be able to boot on an ext2 system.

IIRC, the Debian kernel supports initrd images by default.  The
initrd-tools examines the filesystems mounted and modules loaded by a
running kernel and creates it's initrd image from that reference.  i.e.
When you install 2.4.19-xx kernels, it forces you to install
initrd-tools, ash, and cramfs tools.

This may not be your preferred way of doing things, but it allows the
installation team to concentrate on delivering small-footprint kernels
that support a wide variety of hardware through modules, including the
ext2 filesystem support.  Not everyone wants ext2 systems.

Personally, I don't use the upstream Debian kernels because of module
problems with my network cards.  Some prefer not to use module-enable
kernels for security reasons, but that's what 'kernel-package' is for.
;-)
--
Chad Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>           http://www.wookimus.net/