Re: smb-network package

On Wed, Jan 01, 2003 at 12:42:30PM -0500, David B Harris wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Jan 2003 15:14:17 +0100
> Marcel Kolaja <mkolaja@mistral.cz> wrote:
> > to your sources.list file. Although the upstream maintainer forgot to
> > include a license file in the tarball of the latest version,
> > smb-network is GNU GPL software (I asked the upstream maintainer about
> > it).
>
> Get them to include that license! :) It's very important. It should be
> in the upstream tarball before it makes it into the Debian archive. (And

The upstream maintainer promised me, he will include the license file in
next update of the software. He told me too, if I wanna make official
package, he will upload the tarball with the license file almost
immediately.

> before you distribute it, too.)

I hope this is not so hot, because the main script smb-network.cgi has
a GPL clause in the beginning.

> > I am not a Debian maintainer, but I would be happy to become a
> > Debian maintainer and maintain smb-network. So I would like to ask if
> > there is anyone who wants to sponsor me.
>
> The first step of a typical New Maintainer (at least one that completes
> the process) is to go to http://nm.debian.org and get the ball rolling.

Well, I shall simply apply at http://nm.debian.org/newnm.php? But there is
written:

PLEASE NOTE: If you are unable to answer "yes" to all of the questions
asked, you are not yet ready to apply to the New Maintainer process.

And one of that questions is:

Has an existing Debian developer agreed to be an advocate and verify your
application?

So I thought I can find such a developer here in this list.

> > Next I have a question about developing. I have defined no
> > dependencies because I do not know which way is the best to
> > responsibly determine the dependencies. For example I know
> > smb-network.cgi is written in Perl, but I do not know which one of the
> > Perl packages should I write into the Depends item of the package. I
> > also know smb-network needs WWW server and smbclient, but is there any
> > other way to determine the dependencies than guessing what everything
> > is required for run of the package?
>
> Well, never guess first of all. If you're going to do it manually, you
> should do at least as good a job as the automatic tools. Speaking of
> automatic tools, 'man dh_perl'. Of course, before even suggesting an

I used it and it really added perl to the Depends field. It seems to
work :-) So I added apache2-mpm-threadpool | httpd and smbclient and
I hope the list is complete. But I have another question. Is there any
tool that can tell me, the list of packages is not minimal? Example:
smb-network uses nmblookup and smbclient programs. The former one is from
the samba-common package and the latter one is from the smbclient package.
So I shall write samba-common and smbclient to the Depends field. But
smbclient depends on samba-common, so I do not have to write samba-common
there. Is there any tool, that is able to recognize that tell me about it?

Regards,

Marcel Kolaja
"Ako vraví klasik, RTFM is OK, if you tell me, where in TFM should
I R. :-)"       -- Stanislav Meduna