Re: Pick a name, any name...

On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 05:34:20PM -0800, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 November 2002 02:03, Roland Mas wrote:
> > Current candidates include:
> >

> hey how about something much less cryptic like "forge".  Nothing worse than
> having to guess what woman's name some silly coder named the program I am
> looking for.

On the other hand, if you  want truly obscure, here are some
suggestions:

Norse:  Magni

  As Magni and Modi grew older, they learned many things
  from the dwarves, whom they would often visit.
  When Modi came of age, he took it upon himself to teach
  man how to forge and fashion bronze.
  Magni continued to learn things from the dwarves; and
  after learning many things, took it upon himself to teach
  man how to forge and fashion iron.

Note:  "learned from dwarfs"; positive association with
  magnificent.

Norse:  Draupnir

  Draupnir was a golden ring (or belt, there seems to be some confusion),
  that had the property that every ninth day 8 gold rings of equal weight
  dropped from it.

Note:  No special special affiliation with forges, just a promise of
  riches.

Gaulish:  Belisama

  The Gaulish/Celtic goddess of light and fire, the forge and of crafts.

Note:  sounds kind of like bellissimo.

Hawaiian: Pele

  The Hawaiian (Polynesian) goddess of the fire in the volcano, the
  mother of eruptions. She is a ravishing, whimsical goddess who resides
  in the volcano Kilauea on Hawaii.

Note:  no special affinity with forges, but mother of eruptions
  (and flame-wars?) seems appropriate.

Aztec:  Veveteotl

  God of fire and creativity.

Darkover:  Sharra

  The most dangerous matrix on all Darkover was the legendary Sharra.
  Embodied in the image of a chained woman, wreathed in flames, it was the
  last remaining weapon of the Ages of Chaos that had almost destroyed
  civilization on the planet of the Bloody Sun.

Then again, forge seems much safer.