Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 11:17:56PM +0100, Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo wrote:

> >     Not to defend Riku here, but I would point out that a mechanism to
> > shunt very buggy packages into experimental and replace them with a
> > previous known working version from snapshots would be a very useful
> > thing, and would have severely cut back on the amount of damage caused
> > by things like the recent libc6 transition.
>
>   This way the version of packges installed will bounce back and forward
>   again. And I'm sure there is more problems I cannot see.

    I don't see how this is particularly a problem.  It will be no
worse than if a user installed a package or set of packages from
experimental.

>   AH! If that package is a lib, you must also move all packages that
>   depends on that lib also back.

    Well, you would have to move all pakcages that depended on that
version of the library or later, and I also don't see this as a
problem -- the packages affected badly enough for this option to be
taken generally manifest those problems quickly enough that not very
many packages would have been built against them in that time.

--
Zed Pobre <zed@debian.org> a.k.a. Zed Pobre <zed@resonant.org>
PGP key and fingerprint available on finger; encrypted mail welcomed.