Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 04:52:16PM +0000, Bruce Stephens wrote:
> Releases tend to be out of date.  But that's a feature: releases need
> to be composed of well tested stable packages.

Yes they do, but the software in the packages is just as important as
the packaging job.  If you look back at slink, you see that it shipped
with GNOME 0.3.something.  The GNOME developers certainly didn't claim
that 0.3 was well tested and stable.  It was a development snapshot.
And yet, GNOME 1.0 had already been released by the time slink shipped,
and this version did carry the "stable" claim.  Debian users had to put
up with buggy, unfinished software if they wanted to use the "stable"
version of the OS.

Sacrificing up-to-date software for stable packaging often does not
necessarily result in a stable system.  IMHO there is too much emphasis
put on packaging in Debian.  Package management has always been our
strength, but perhaps it occupies too much of our time.  (Of course, I
must now add that I can't claim to have a solution for any perceived
problems in our development system.)

noah