Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

On Sat, 23 Nov 2002 19:37:02 +0000
Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> wrote:
[snip]
> Turning on IDE DMA is a performance improvement of around a factor of
> 6-10 (2-3Mb/sec -> 25-40Mb/sec), for disk-bound operations. You can
> get *more* than a 6-times improvement in performance?

Well, no. But then, I've not had to do anything other then use a 2.4
kernel to get IDE DMA. But most desktop work is letency based and using
a kernel with the low latency patch and preempt cuts max latency by
about 6 times based on some workloads ( 600ms --> 20ms ).

> > Under
> > debian's X/glibc/kde I can't move windows with contents without
> > 'tearing.'
>
> Something is seriously wrong, most likely with your display
> driver. You should be able to achieve this on a 486, albeit at a lower
> resolution.

Yep. I was using the "nv" driver from then woody's X. I blows chunks.
The non-free "Nvidia" driver works fine but taints the kernel (and
causes random crashes sometimes.) I would bet that debian's "nv" driver
has gotten much better over time as newer X versions move into testing.

> > X is CPU bound if you can't
> > move windows smoothly because it has latency that is too high.
>
> Moving windows around is a memory-to-framebuffer-throughput-bound
> operation, not a CPU-bound one (unless your processor is really slow
> and your resolution is absurdly high).

Even with DRI, moving a window about over mozilla peged my 1GhZ duron.
Well, I guess 1600x1400 is absurdly high, but I like how the fonts look
(even the non-true type ones.)

Thomas