Re: VNC plans.

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 02:21:18PM +0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 01:49:33PM +0100, Ola Lundqvist wrote:
> > 0) Start using alternatives for vnc.
> >
> > 0.1) Link svncviewer staically with libvncauth instead
> >    of dynamically.
> >
> > 1) Package tightvnc as:
> >    tightvncserver, provides vncserver
> >    tight[x?]vncclient, provides vncviewer
> >    tightvnc-doc
> >
> >    The hard part is to test that they can coexist.
>
> Why do they need to coexist with the other implementation? They could
> simply conflict.

Probably because I'm a person who wants to make everything
"good" way. I will get bugs about "why can they not coexist??!" and
to fix them I have to do this anyway, but in a easier way. :)

> > 2) Change the vnc package to realvnc
> >    realvncserver, provides vncserver
> >    realvncviewer, provides vncviewer
> >    vnc-common (I have to check what's in there).
>
> These names suck. They imply that the other implementation is not
> real. Maybe something involving 'vanilla' would be better.

Agreed! The problem is that (as people have told already) the
new (the same crew as far as I know) upstream call themself realvnc...
I think I stick to the upstream name. An other solution is to
not change the name and make it provide rfbserver and rfbclient.
Maybe that is not a bad solution after all. :) It makes it less
hard for me ;)

> > 3) Ask for the removal of the old vnc packages.
>
> For one release, make them metapackages that depend on the tightvnc
> packages - that way people who do nothing will continue to have the
> same packages that they always did (I presume that vnc* is tightvnc in
> woody).

And with the new solution I do not have to make this step.

> > 4) Change name of vnc-java to realvnc-java

And not this either.

> > 5) Package tightvnc-java.
>
> Same thing applies.
>
> > 2) Do I have to ask for vncserver and vncviewer as they
> >    become virtual packages?
>
> Parse error.

Policy requirement. Do I have to have this in official virtual
package list (I maintain all the packages right now, including
rfb if I want to)? Well I will probably ask for it anyway, but that
is assuming that I get it to work at all.

Regards,

// Ola

> --
>   .''`.  ** Debian GNU/Linux ** | Andrew Suffield
>  : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ | Dept. of Computing,
>  `. `'                          | Imperial College,
>    `-             -><-          | London, UK

/  opal@debian.org                     Annebergsslingan 37      \
|  opal@lysator.liu.se                 654 65 KARLSTAD          |
|  +46 (0)54-10 14 30                  +46 (0)70-332 1551       |
|  http://www.opal.dhs.org             UIN/icq: 4912500         |