Re: Not just a dpkg/run-parts problem

> Clint, if I coded a shared library and a couple of programs that
> filtered filenames according to whatever the standard of the day was,
> would you add it to debianutils and use it in run-parts? Oh crap, I
> suppose that implies a debianutils-dev as well, which means it might be
> more than you want to deal with.

Unless the library is going to let users define their own policies, I
think a clearly-defined spec is the way to go.  I see value in
configurable expressions, but that seems potentially dangerous.

I agree that specifying what is legal is preferable to maintaining a
list of exceptions, but the combination of dpkg and the LSB make that
impossible, as far as I can tell.  For example,
/etc/cron.daily/find.dpkg-dist matches the LSB [hier1]-[name] pattern,
if find.dpkg is a valid DNS name, and there's no good way to know that
find.dpkg is not a valid DNS name.