Re: permissions of /etc/ppp

John Hasler wrote:
> Alexander Kotelnikov writes:
> > Strange, I have it 755 root:root on my two Debian woody systems, and I am
> > almost sure, that I have not changed this myself.
>
> It's 750 in the ppp package.  As Joey noted some package that put a file
> there (e.g., pppconfig) may have changed it on your system.
>
> I think it's an historical artifact.  I can't think of any reason it needs
> to be 750.

Hmm, since ppp's current maintainer hasn't spoken up yet, maybe Phil Hands
knows..

ppp (2.3.8-1) unstable; urgency=low

  * make sure /etc/ppp ends up belonging to root.dip
    (closes: #39116, #39558, #39060, #38833, #38824, #38823, #38775, #38682,
             #40717)

 -- Philip Hands <phil@hands.com>  Wed, 30 Jun 1999 21:10:53 +0100

Any chance you remember what was going on there with all those bug reports
and ownership of /etc/ppp? If it caused all those bug reports, it must
have been serious?

--
see shy jo