Re: URLs on debian.org/distrib/packages pages

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:50:26PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> > The dpkg developers haven't implemented any other control field to put this
> > in, so the long Description: is the decent workaround.
>
> I disagree: The Description field is not intended to be a random
> dumping-ground for any information that cannot fit into some other
> field.

The web page visitors usually expected the purpose of the upstream URL to be
an even more extended description of the package, some packages already used
it, and there was no new field in sight, so we simply added parsing of the

> > And it's not like new metadata fields are a taboo topic, Origin and Bugs
> > have been added relatively recently. Something like Upstream-URI could be
> > added just as well.
>
> Indeed. Like I said, I'd support any such amendment, and patching dpkg
> for a new field is easy.

Yeah, but will the patch be accepted? We'd have to check with Wichert and
Adam. I'd hate to have to see warnings from dpkg-buildpackage or one of its
children every time I build a package with the new field...

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.