Fwd: Re: Package Management BoF

here's the output of a birds-of-a-feather session at this year's LISA.
it's about package management, and even though i couldn't attend
myself, i got the notes for it and know some people involved.
i thought it might be helpful to debian...

package management BOF
- talking a lot about configuration management and package management.
- purpose: what should the scope of package management?
- what are the areas in which you'd like to see package management
improve?
- suppose that I want to do work on a package manager. What should I
  work upon?

Definition of a package manager:
- Grayton Dobson:  personal peeve: RPM.
  - rpm wants to play with tarballs.
  - unpack, pack, unpack.
  - redhat wants a simple way of saying "what's the current version of
  BASH?"
  - rpm is for cranking out rpm's [for RedHat's purposes].
  - I'm using it because it's easiest to leverage an existing manager.
  - I can then only worry about what packages to run
  - As a code builder I want to do an RPM diff.
  - Deficiencies in process of creating a package
  - RPM is not a package manager; it's a release system.
  - It's a way for RedHat to distribute versions easily.
  - I want to turn something into something I can give someone to reuse.
  - Mandrake trying to rebuild bash, or a user with a new tool,
    here's an rpm, which implies a release tool.

One of the reasons why package management and releases have been
separate issues is that ....

Paul Anderson:
- important things about package manager is the amount of software
  that is available in the format
- what's good about rpm is that a whole machine can be in described
  in that format.
- not so easy to do in Solaris because there are different package
  formats on the same machine
- meta-package-manager creates an abstraction layer that reports
  package lineage of software created by different package systems.

Mark:
- what are the problems?

Paul Anderson:
- dependencies are important, and dependencies aren't easy to resolve
  problems across different package managers?

Mark
- How many people are satisfied with the way that their package manager
  handles dependencies