Re: Debian versioning scheme (r1 vs .1)

On Mon, 2002-11-04 at 13:05, Morten Brix Pedersen wrote:
> I am wondering why updates to the Debian GNU/Linux distribution uses the
> much alternative versioning syntax, such as 2.2r7, 3.0r1 etc.
>
> In my opinion, 3.0.1 is a much clearer and more commonly used syntax.

I agree.  3.0r1 sounds too much like WinXP SP1.  The Win people always
claim that there is no innovation coming out of the Linux community,
just copying Windows/Office.  Its time for a versioning syntax change -
but it is also time for version policy upgrade.  We need to get the
latest innovative free software on the street faster.

I hereby declare that we need 3.1.0 within six months, complete with
KDE3, GNOME2, Perl5.8, Apache2, GCC3, etc. etc. etc.

What say ye?

David