Re: Why are modules and modules.conf not versioned?

Previously Eric Richardson wrote:
> Okay. I guess modules.conf will provide everything that a person could
> use. I personally think that this is way harder than other things in
> Debian.

Personally I happen to disagree with you there.

> Normally the modconf program lets you install modules with options if
> needed and it just works. This doesn't work across vastly different
> kernels such as a Woody 2.2.x to 2.4.x upgrade or custom kernels that
> have different module requirements perhap because some are build in if
> you want to boot to different kernels.

Different module requirements should not be a problem. Information for
modules that are not build or used is simply ignored.

> Is it possible that this should be changed somehow since the kernels
> are so modular or is kernel experimentation just for people who want
> to hand tweak the modules.conf file?

I change kernels frequently but I haven't modified modules.conf in over
a year..

> Is it really just not required to build custom kernels now-a-days? Sorry
> for the prodding but I just hate when things are hard.

It shouldn't be needed generally.

Wichert.

 /wichert@wiggy.net         This space intentionally left occupied \
| wichert@deephackmode.org                    http://www.wiggy.net/ |