Re: PATH setting used by dpkg to run postinstall scripts?

On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 02:37:51PM +0300, Richard Braakman wrote:
> dpkg assumes that if you override the system utilities in root's PATH,
> then you have good reason to do so and want dpkg to use your versions.
>
> Changing this assumption would have more harmful consequences than
> good ones, I think.

It is possible that the system adminstrator may prefer using
a 3rd party version of adduser, for instance (maybe a script that
enhances on /usr/sbin/adduser for interactive use), but doesn't
want it to break packages that really intend to use
/usr/sbin/adduser.

Of course, the same thing could work both ways (the system adminstrator
may want the new improved version of adduser to be used instead, maybe
it has support for LDAP for instance).

So I am not about to provide any solutions here...
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>