Re: [donation] AlphaServer 1000A 5/400

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 11:37:41AM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> Steve Langasek wrote:
> > > Another Alpha is badly needed for the Alpha port. I'm in the US so that
> > > pretty much rules me out as a taker. If someone in that area can take it,
> > > please do as I'd hate to see it go to waste or simply lose it.
> >
> > I'm not in a position to adopt this particular machine either, but could
> > you expound on what the current needs of the Alpha port are?  Is there
> > anything that those of us with our own Alphas can do to help?  (Besides
> > persistently beating on badly-written code, obviously.)
>
> It is helpful if we had working user-enterable chroot directories for
> potato and stable on Alpha.  I recently had to track down a build error with
> a security update on potato.  lully currently only provides the host
> system.  Hence, a second machine that would run user chroot systems would
> at least help a little bit.  It would also help in case lully should
> break down and packages on alpha need to be compiled.

Then perhaps another question is, are there people (again with as
close geographic proximity as possible) that could host and take a
role in maintaining this machine? Of course, only people with "good"
connectivity should apply.

Again, get back to me off-list.

Thanks
Mako

--
Benj. Mako Hill                   |   Debian Hardware Donations Manager
mako@debian.org                   |   "Project Quartermaster"