Re: Warning to Debian Developers regarding BitKeeper

On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 01:29:45AM +0200, Russell Coker wrote:
> Hmm, maybe as an act of protest we should all try and find some way to help
> coding on Arch or Subversion.  If every Debian developer averaged a week's
> coding on one of those two projects we'll have something that will kick butt
> all over BK!

How about if all debian developers who work on the kernel stop working
on it until bitkeeper is ditched. That would be a real protest.

Since every debian developer has agreed to act in accordance with the
debian social contract, and the social contract clrealy states that
"we will never make the system depend on an item of non-free
software", then we obviously can't support development of the
kernel. The kernel depends on being developed, and non-free software
is needed to develop for it. It all depends how you interpret the
phrase "depend on".

michael

--
michael cardenas | lead software engineer        lindows.com
hyperpoem.net    | GNU/Linux software developer  debian.org

"There is no reality except the one contained within us. That is why so many people live such an unreal life. They take the images outside of them for reality and never allow the world within to assert itself."
- Herman Hesse