Re: Need help with bug#130805 (crash on Sony Vaio laptops)

On Tue, 2002-10-01 at 11:28, Jochen Voss wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need some help with bug #130805.  The bug submitter's
> Sony Vaio laptop crashed on some command.  Details are at
>
>     http://bugs.debian.org/130805
>
> As I do not own such a machine I cannot do much about this.
> So my request is: could anybody with a Sony Vaio laptop try
> the following:
>
>     1) Install the fdutils package
>     2) Remove the floppy drive
>     3) Prepare for a possible crash (save all open
>        files, execute 'sync', ...)
>     4) Run the command "/usr/sbin/MAKEFLOPPIES -g"

I don't have a USB floppy drive so I can't test this, but I know that
some recent Vaio models have problems with USB causing hard locks, if
ACPI is not patched via http://acpi.sf.net and a recent (2.4.19) kernel
is not being used. Technically it's a USB problem I think, but it seems
to only come up regularly on Vaio systems. I didn't dig into it too much
because the ACPI patch fixed it for me.
--
 - Joe Wreschnig <piman@sacredchao.net>  -  http://www.sacredchao.net
  "What I did was justified because I had a policy of my own... It's