Re: RFC: some new deb package flag: "upgrade-conflicts"

On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 10:16:38PM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> We currently don't provide any control over dotfiles found in
> user home directories, and we leave any conflicts as they happen.
> I'd like some kind of scripting system.
>
> something like upgrade-dotconf program,
> which runs everything it finds under
> /usr/lib/upgrade-dotconf/[dot-conf upgrade checking programs] ?

This needs to be dealt with very very carefully because in NFS-situations,
upgrading a users homedir may need you to setuid() down to that user first,
and also, you may hit problems where a user logs into different machines
which have differing versions of a package such that upgrading it may break
the older machines.

If a user can speciify "do not upgrade my dotfiles" or something in their
homedir, then okay, otherwise doing the upgrades is more dangerous than
letting the user resolve them themselves as and when they hit the problems.

D.

--
Daniel Silverstone                               http://www.digital-scurf.org/
Hostmaster, Webmaster, and Chief Code Wibbler          Digital-Scurf Unlimited