Re: dpkg-statoverride question

On Sat, Sep 28, 2002 at 02:57:36PM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> Wouldn't it be better and nicer to generate the user in preinst if it
> does not exist (getent passwd sysuser > /dev/null || code to add user)
> and set permissions and owner in the deb-file?

How do you set the user in the deb file?

You need the user on the build system too...

However chances are, the user does not exist on the build system.

If the build script tries to add the user to the build system, I suspect
this is going to result in a number of grave cannot build from source
bug reports...

(eg. consider building the package with fakeroot).
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>