Re: mips g++ bug? [What's up with mips and mipsel buildd?]

>> Andreas Rottmann <a.rottmann@gmx.at> writes:

 > While we're at it, it seems g++ (2.95) exception handling on mips is
 > fucked (my packages fail when testing for correct exception handling
 > - the test program aborts, IIRC). Will g++ 3.2 fix this? If yes, we
 > really ought to do the transition real soon, since IMO exceptions are
 > an important part of the C++ language...

 Talking about that...

 Did this fell into oblivion?  The GCC 3.2 transition I mean.  Last
 thing I remember is getting down to an acceptable solution, and then I
 said we got to that point and was promptly corrected...

 Just to remind people what I'm talking about, I wrote:

 > Fiddling arround the ld.so sources to understand how if finds the
 > libraries it wants to use, I noticed it looks for two tags in the ELF
 > object: DT_RPATH and DT_RUNPATH.  RUNPATH has two nice poperties:
 > it's looked at *after* LD_LIBRARY_PATH and it doesn't contaminate
 > other ELF objects, that is, it affects *only* the lookup process for
 > the current ELF object (that's the documented behaviour at least, I
 > have yet to check that ld.so does indeed behave like this).
 > [...]
 > The end effect of this is that a) binaries still work on other
 > systems (with no larger breakage than what we see even today --
 > unresolved symbols and so on) b) doesn't touch the dynamic linker c)
 > gives us what we want using a very well contained change (modifying
 > the G++ frontend) and recompiling.

 and the only reply I have archived is from Collin, who asked:

 > That could be interesting. How far back is RUNPATH supported? (I seem
 > to recall that it's a relatively new introduction to ELF, but if it's
 > in stable then that's good enough for me.)

 to which I replied that we seem to have support for DT_RUNPATH all the
 way back to potato.

 Someone who knows his way arround the gcc sources would probably need 5
 minutes to write such a patch.  I will probably need more, but if noone
 shows interest, I'll give it a try.

 What I'd like to know is if there are any objections from people who
 know they way with gcc's and ld's internals better than I do...

--
Marcelo             | "Did any of them kids have some space alien with a face
mmagallo@debian.org | like a friendly turd in a bike basket?"