Re: the netbase/inetd conspiracy

On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 02:40:18AM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> That said, "where did this configuration file go?" and "why doesn't this
> configuration file come back when I reinstall the package? I wanted it
> to!" are rather frequently asked questions on debian-user.

True, dpkg's behaviour is rather surprising when new Debian admins
first run into it.  However, once they have learned that the packaging
system works this way, it would be cruel to make that behaviour inconsistent.

> I can definitely see room to enhance our current toolset with a view to
> being more friendly towards the variety of wishes users have.

Indeed.  I can't think of a good way, though.  Prompting on every upgrade
would be bad.  Would adding a simple flag to dpkg be enough?  Then perhaps
apt-get can set that flag when doing --reinstall.  Then there's only the
matter of allowing postinst scripts to find out the setting of this flag,
so that they can also respond accordingly.

Richard Braakman