Re: Where is old "info su" which had RMS comment ??

On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 03:36:17AM -0400, Simon Law wrote:
> > Does anyone know where is the famous "su" info page by RMS?
> >
> > I know it is useless with PAM version of "su" but fun to keep as a
> > historical record of GNU.
>
> 	It is in the sh-utils info page.
>
> Why GNU `su' does not support the `wheel' group
>
>    (This section is by Richard Stallman.)
[..]

Ahh, so GNU su is less secure because Richard Stallman, in his infinite
wisdom, believes security is a bad thing and that any lowlife h4x0r should
be able to gain root priveleges and trash the system.  This explains so
much about the GNU philosophy that I am overwhelmed by its greatness!

I'm sure I must have read this free-love, obviously drug-induced tripe
from Richard before, but I doubt I had the good sense to name it for what
it was: An affront to the security of any system using GNU tools.  I'm
certain that some RMS apologist will pipe up that this crap is historical
rather than practical and reflects views which Richard clearly believes to
be no longer tennable in today's hostile computing environment.  And yet,
Google finds me no retraction of those statements.  It does not even find
an informal consideration that they should be re-evaluated.

Reading this garbage makes me wonder what else on my system may not be up
to snuff from a security standpoint to further Richard's perfect visions
of a world where nobody is greedy about their software or desires to do
harm to another's system.  Reality check, please.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@bluecherry.net>              Goldfish don't bounce

<knghtbrd> this is college course in formal logic
<devkev> knghtbrd: i hate that shit, much prefer fuzzy logic :)
<knghtbrd> kev: fuzzy logic tickles.
<taniwha> knghtbrd: lol
<devkev> knghtbrd: fuzzy logic is so cool, it models the world really well