Re: Debian retirement

On Sat, Sep 21, 2002 at 08:03:19PM +0100, Dr Gordon Russell wrote:

> My University, Napier in Edinburgh, Scotland, has finally recognised the
> attractiveness of Linux and are going to support it, provided we standardise on a
> single distribution. Unfortunately this is not Debian. My boss has instructed me to
> move to the new platform, and I have finished moving my first machine to RedHat. As
> a consequence I have no Debian machines myself, and I guess I will have to focus
> all my efforts into liking RedHat.

> Now, having seen RedHat 7.3, our package manager is still miles ahead. Our
> approach to config files is miles better too. However, the convenience of
> getting rpm files from anywhere and getting the to work is nice, and I have
> not been bitten by any inconsistances yet (time will tell).

Having made the switch from Red Hat to Debian in the not too distant past, you have my
sincerest condolences... :)

Thank you for your long (!) contribution to Debian.  You will certainly be missed.
And who knows, maybe we'll see you back in a few years after the U finds out what an
upgrade to a major release of Red Hat is like? :)

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer