[Internal-Projects] Re: what about etc files

Hi,

[as long as there is no common list for issues of Debian internal projects
 we unfortunately have to blur debian-devel with this stuff.  I just tag
 the subject appropriate to keep the noise for others not involved in this
 stuff low.]

On Thu, 19 Sep 2002, marco trevisani wrote in private and hopefully will
not insist about public discussion:

> apt/source.list we need to have our DeMuDi server for now, a part for
> the debian servers, for specific local files and tasks.
I would create a package which uses debconf for configuration of
   apt/source.list

> mime: we need to link specific audio files to apps.
> (well this could be done in /usr/lib/mime/)
>
> If installation is made from scratch, that does not give problem, we can
> a package for those needed files.
>
> If DeMuDi is installed as a task onve an existing installation then we
> need those file but at the same time i dont want to erase existing
> user configuration files.
Debconf was written for exactly this purpose.

> I guess debhelp would be the solution
> and ask found a config...keep your,use default see diff etc....would be
> nice to have apply diffs.
In my opinion this should not be done with diffs because it is configuration
stuff.  Just provide reasonable defaults and let debconf handle this.

Kind regards

        Andreas.