Re: Bits from the RM

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002 17:11:01 +1000, Anthony Towns
<aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:
>On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 11:04:45PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
>> > 	* Regular CD releases of testing, as well as stable
>> I gotta say, this makes me nervous.  I'm concerned that testing will
>> be what people are in some sense "expected to use", despite it being
>> "officially not supported".  The more testing begins to look like a
>> "real release", the more it will *become* the "real release".
>
>I'm not too worried about it; both because I think Debian users are
>generally sensible to be able to understand the tradeoffs amongst stable,
>testing and unstable, and to make a sensible choice based on that [0],

I think you are overly optimistic about that. On IRC, we get our daily
share of total newbies installing testing or (*gasp*) unstable because
stable doesn't have the latest cool packages. This was particularly
bad in potato's last days, and is a thing we should IMO try to avoid.
Security updates being only one aspect of this.

>At the moment, for example, running testing is a very risky proposition
>because no one's handling security updates for it.

And even if somebody were doing so, there would be the "testing delay"
before the security update becomes available.

Greetings
Marc