Re: debconf w/ charset encoding support

On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 09:29:00PM +0900, Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:

> LangCode Encoding	Alternative for questionables	Notes
> bg	CP1251						(1)
> lt	ISO-8859-13					(3)

> pt_BR	ISO-8859-15
not EU country

> ro	ISO-8859-16	ISO-8859-2?			(4)
..

> (1) The only one Bulgarian template (hylafax) seems to be written
>     in CP1251.  (Only when the template is interpreted as CP1251,
>     it looks like a human language.  ISO-8859-5, KOI8-R, and KOI8-U
>     cannot be human languages, though I don't know Bulgarian.)

It is indeed CP1251 (as is the common encoding used for Bulgarian in
UNIX world)

> (3) The translator of the only one Lithuanian template
>     (Garabik) says that it is written in ISO-8859-13.

I am just a maintainer, not a translator (not speaking any lithuanian).
I choose ISO-8859-13 since it seemed to be commonly used encoding
for Lithuanian, but I am contemplating changing it into UTF-8
(it would not matter for the end used and would make life easier for me)

> (4) Only one translation is for adduser package.  However,
>     I don't know which encoding (ISO-8859-2 or ISO-8859-16)
>     is used....

ISO-8859-16 was sensibly created from ISO-8859-2 by changing
ş, ţ (s-cedilla and t-cedilla) into ș, ț (s-comma bellow, t-comma
bellow). s-cedilla and t-cedilla were used for Romanian instead of
s-comma bellow, t-comma bellow because there was no other option.
So while the text was probably written in ISO-8859-2, it displays
more correctly in ISO-8859-16.

> 2. Non-Euro (previously-)ISO-8859-1 countries --- which encoding,
>    ISO-8859-1 or ISO-8859-15, is preferable encoding for Danish,
>    Norwegian, and Swedish?

probably ISO-8859-15 - EURO would be quite important in those countries,
I guess. But, the EURO sign is probably not going to appear in debconf
templates so this is mostly academic question.

BTW, Montenegro uses EURO as a currency. However, Serbian is written
in ISO-8859-2 (latin variant) or ISO-8859-5 (cyrillic variant), so there
is not a sinlge 8-bit codepage covering either variant.
However, this is irrelevant to debian templates question :-)

P.S. apt-get source hylafax said:
Fetched 1335kB in 21s (63.0kB/s)
Malformed UTF-8 character (unexpected end of string) at /usr/bin/dpkg-source line 604, <GZIP> line 5804.

the source otherwise unpacked well. I'll leave this error message for
wiser ones to ponder upon :-)

| Radovan Garabík http://melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk/~garabik/ |