Re: Bits from the RM

On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 11:47:37AM +0200, Bas Zoetekouw wrote:
> Hi Drew!
>
> You wrote:
>
> > The first appearance of a functioning Xprint server (xprt-xprintorg, soon to
> > appear in a Debian mirror near you...) ;-)
>
> What is an Xprint server?

From my control file:

 "Xprint" is an advanced printing system which enables X11 applications
 to use devices like printers, FAX or create documents in formats like
 PostScript, PDF, PCL, etc.
 .
 This package provides Xprt, the Xprint server compiled from
 xprint.mozdev.org.  This version supersedes the version from XFree86
 (package xprt), which is buggy and does not work with mozilla.  This version
 provides full support for printing from mozilla, including non-latin
 characters and MathML.
 .
 Note that TrueType font support is not currently available in Xprint.

----
In other words, it's a printing system that uses the X API, facilitating the
possibility of "true" WYSIWYG - printing on paper exactly (more or less) as it
appears on screen.

Its real utility for me is with mozilla.  I've got some HTML pages styled up
just-so with CSS, mozilla renders them fine on screen, the print-preview
works fine.  But when you try to print to paper using Mozilla's default
postscript driver (up to v1.0, I haven't tested v1.1), it fails with various
problems.  For instance, it tends to print non-latin letters as boxes, and
stuffs up CSS styling (sans-serif gets printed as serif).

Xprint fixes these problems, and also lets you print MathML, the HTML-like
means of writing mathematics.

I've just uploaded the new package, so hopefully Those In Charge will be happy
to add it to the archives for general distribution.

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://people.debian.org/~dparsons/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A