Re: Different logging formats, standardization...

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 09:35:11PM +0100, Chris Moore wrote:
> All is not lost though.  I'm writing a wizzy logging API at the moment.
> The design can be expressed as a directed graph of processing nodes and
> stream arcs.  Nodes can be filters, message sinks such as files, syslog,
> sockets and anything else you can think of.  Streams can be file
> descriptors, network connections, in memory transfers etc.

Moving and munging the messages is not the problem.  The problem is
the messages.  They do not have (nearly) enough metadata associated
with them to do the sort of analysis most people would like--neither
for individual messages, nor for the relationships between them.

> I'm trying
> to be uber flexible (cf. log4j which is designed to be efficient).

Well, you get a few points for not copying log4j.

Andrew