Re: Building against testing [was Re: "Recompile with libc6 from testing" <-- doesn't help i think!]

On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 12:23:32PM -0400, Christopher W. Curtis wrote:
> Erich Schubert wrote:
>
> >The privoxy changelog says:
> >
> >  * Recompile with libc6 from testing (instead of unstable).
> >
> >I guess this was to get it into testing faster.
> >the buildd will not for other archs with the old libc6 i think.
> >So this will not help.
> >
> >Please don't do "Recompile with libc6 from testing"...
> >
> >Testing isn't too useful while we are not heading for a freeze, so IMHO
> >it's "stay at stable or dare unstable" time...
>
> Sorry for arriving to the party late, but I take an extreme exception to
> this.  Please compile *all* packages against testing if possible.  The

No, don't.

> Maybe the problem lies more in the buildd system (which I am also not so
> familiar with).  Debian uploads source packages, and these get rebuilt
> by the buildds, correct?  If so, perhaps it would be better to make them
> more intelligent -- if they can buildd cleanly against testing, they
> should do that first.  If there are problems, they try unstable.  Either
> way, the package goes into unstable, but if it's compiled against
> testing, there are obviously no dependencies needed from unstable so
> there's no need to be held up by a dependency on a new library rev
> (which may be incremented weekly, keeping the otherwise working package
> in unstable in perpetuity).

It's not a "problem", it's a design.  Think about it.  I upload a new
package that builds against the version in testing - but does NOT build
against the version in unstable.  A dozen buildds get it and build it
and it goes into testing.  But it's already unbuildable in unstable and
has been since before I uploaded it.

That's just one example.  There are others.  The model of development
we use requires that (except for specific updates to other releases)
all new packages build against unstable.  The system only works if
packages progress into testing at a reasonable rate.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz