Re: New Tasks

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 09:00:15PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Tasks are really aimed at users who don't know what software they want.
> If you know what software you want, you can go pick it by hand, no?

Yes and no. Tasks are great for people who want to start with a nice
subset of utilities without knowing the intricacies of our (necessarily)
complex package management tools. It should be obvious that you need
*some* idea of what software you want before you can make use of the
task system; the concepts of "web server" or "desktop workstation"
aren't exactly instinctive, are they? I'd argue that 1) kde and gnome
are high-profile enough that a large segment of users might know that
they'd like one or both installed, even if they are first-time debian
users and that 2) a kde or gnome task might include more software than a
kde or gnome metapackage, given the large quantity of third-party
software available for each environment.

--
Mike Stone