Re: Work-needing packages report for Sep 6, 2002

On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Michael Stone wrote:

>  a package removed
> from the current archive will still be available in its previous
> incarnation, should someone want to pick it up (or install the old
> unmaintained crap.)

I'm puzzled.

Why is unmaintained == crap ?

Every day, I use a a reasonably complex package of perl scripts which to my
knowledge has not been maintained since 1996.  Because it works.  And it most
certainly isn't crap.  Even if Perl has advanced quite a bit in that time.
And it isn't in Debian because of licensing funnies; but if it had been
you're saying it would have been junked by now because it's unmaintained?
And I would have had to have found something else to replace it, if I didn't
want to maintain it myself?

Curious.
msw@startext.demon.co.uk                      http://startext.demon.co.uk/
GPG pub key : 8D6B948B  ECC6 D98E 4CC8 60E3 7E32  D594 BB27 3368 8D6B 948B