Problems building patched kernel images

I'm having some problems building a kernel image package from the
kernel-source-2.4.18 and grsecurity patch under woody. I just went through a
dry run and did the following things:

 - unpacked the kernel source from the tarball into /usr/src
 - did 'export PATCH_THE_KERNEL=YES'
 -  cd /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18
 - ran 'make-kpkg clean'
 - ran 'make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.1 --config=menuconfig kernel-image

I configured the kernel in the menus and left it to do it's thing. Eventually
it gives up with the message:

 The changelog says we are creating 2.4.18 but I thought the version is
2.4.18-grsec-1.9.4

Repeating the process with '--append_to_version=-grsec-1.9.4' yeilds the same
message with that extra string appended to both.

So, what am I doing wrong? And if it's not me, where should I be looking in
the grsecurity patches to see what the matter is?

(Yeah, maybe this should be directed to debian-user, but it is package
building related, and I'm interested in wading into the inards of the kernel
package build process so I can find out how to build my own debianized kernel
patches.)

Thanks in advance,
John