Re: wanting to package wpoison

Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@debian.org> writes:

>> > I've said what I want.  If it can't be done then it can't be done.
>> > In that case, please don't distribute Wpoison with Debian.
>>
>> Sorry, you have said what you want in the license for wpoison. Which
>> does not require a logo on the debian web page. Nice try :-)
>
> On the other hand, we should try and accomodate the wishes of upstream
> authors where possible.

Of course, but this was just to show him that he cannot do whatever he
wants with released software. License writing is something serious,
and he doesn't seem to know the consequences of his actions in this
field. Anyway, whatever he says on his web page, his software is
clearly not free.

> In this case, I think it's easier and simpler just to do a cleanroom
> rewrite of the functionality of the software and leave this program
> alone.

http://devin.com/sugarplum seems a good GPL alternative, as pointed
out already.

> The wishes of the author are clearly that he wishes to receive
> adulation beyond his station, and makes unreasonable demands of
> others.  His comments in this thread make me want to avoid his
> software religiously (which is worthy of congratulations - he and
> djb can enjoy each other in that category).

Yep, he seems quite disturbed on the ego side of things. At least djb
has reasons to be ego twisted.

--
Rémi